Why do some people practice pilates for a while and then notice they are actually taller than before? The basis of this exercise might help strengthen your muscles and improve your length. But does pilates make you taller, or is it just a myth?
Let’s explain clearly!
Why does pilates help increase height?
Doing pilates does extend the spine by improving flexibility, awareness, and strength. But this just leads to less than millimeters of actual height difference. So, why do many people report feeling and appearing taller after doing it? The truth is, pilates cannot make you physically taller but help you look and feel taller in the following ways:
- Pilates might strengthen core muscles to improve posture.
- Pilates might create lean muscles and trim the fat.
- Pilates might promote innate spinal issues that cause slouching.
- Pilates might boost body confidence.
Although pilates cannot add height, they might prevent slouching and decrease height. Also, it stops vertebral compression later in life, which might make a person look shorter.
One way that pilates helps lengthen the body is to extend the muscles themselves. Both explosive muscle training and resistance training have been shown to extend muscle cells, leading to a leaner and longer appearance. And when you practice pilates regularly, muscles will be added without increasing bulk like weight training. Moreover, pilates boosts fat loss, which can strengthen a slimmed look across the lines of the whole body. And the decline of width across the frame will deliver the look of length.
Top 9 pilates exercises to increase your height
- Lie on your back on the carpet.
- Put two hands on your sides.
- Bend your left knee and put it flat on the floor.
- Stretch your right leg up so that it is perpendicular to the floor.
- Rotate your right leg four clockwise and turn counterclockwise.
- Try to make the circle as big as possible while keeping your lower back on the floor.
- Switch to the left leg and repeat.
- Lie on your back.
- Raise both legs as in the picture to create an angle.
- Bend your head up and stretch out your arms as far as possible with your palms down.
- Move your arms up and down when you breathe in for five counts and breathe out for five counts.
- Perform a cycle of 10 full breaths.
- Lie on your stomach with hands held together backward.
- Stiffen abdominal muscles and start raising upper arms, legs, and torso.
- Gently lower yourself down and repeat.
- Lie on your back with arms alongside the body, and your palms should face down on the carpet.
- Slowly raise both legs with two feet bunched upward.
- Continue bending your legs through your head with toes facing the floor.
- Try to keep your toes as close to the floor as you possibly could.
- Maintain this position as long as you possibly can.
- Lie on your back with arms stretched above your head.
- Slowly raise your arms up and then bend your spine up and off the floor.
- Bend to a seated position and continue folding your torso over your legs, making your core tight the whole time.
- Slowly roll back down to the carpet and repeat.
- Begin on a high plank with both hands under your shoulders.
- Take turns to raise one leg off the floor as high as possible but avoid passing your shoulder height.
- Maintain your core, bottom, and quadriceps engaged to prevent rocking your hips.
High plank to pike
- Begin on a high plank with both palms flat on the floor, hands shoulder-width apart, and legs stretched.
- Push your tailbone up towards the ceiling while you stretch your legs as much as you can.
- Bend your knees if you want to get your heels near the floor.
- Come back to the high plank and repeat.
- Stand straight with a small distance apart and both legs parallel to each other.
- Bend your hips forward until your hands reach your feet or the floor.
- Maintain this position for a couple of seconds.
- Slowly turn back to the starting position and repeat.
Exercise ball stretching
- Place your back to the center of the ball with both arms bunched together and stretched overhead.
- Place your feet on the floor and balance your body.
- Make the most of your foot force, and bring the ball forward.
- Roll back and lift your breast and head out of the ball.
- Maintain this position for 5 seconds and repeat.
What are other health benefits of pilates?
Aside from improving your posture and strengthening your core, doing pilates regularly brings many other benefits. Let’s check them out!
Support weight loss
Pilates is a whole-body fitness exercise that can support weight loss if practiced regularly and coupled with a well-balanced diet. It does not only tone your muscles to give a lean look but also indicates the use of bodyweight and resistance training to burn more calories. Since these might speed up your metabolism, they might help you reduce some unwanted kilos.
Boost flexibility and mobility
Pilates is a combination of strengthening and stretching, which improves flexibility, mobility, and strength. Through the soft progression with steady and careful motions from pilates exercises, pilates would help balance strength and flexibility to maximize mobility.
Pilates makes your circulation move, which triggers up the muscles and spine and makes your body feel good from exercising. Since it is the best low-impact form of exercise that you easily include in your routine. The more you exercise, the more energy you will get. And the more energetic you get, the more you enjoy pilates.
Reduce back pain
Many pilates exercises involve spine lengthening, which supports restoring muscular imbalances by showing proper alignment. This, in turn, reduces back pain because it shows you how to secure your body by using your core instead of tightening your lower back.
Improve body awareness
The ability to concentrate on the sensations in the body and the attention inward help increase your awareness of comfort, your feelings, and your surrounding environment. And with enhanced awareness, your body is able to prevent falls and injuries.
Pilates does not show much real effect on your physical height. Instead, pilates helps improve posture, which can create the look of a taller and longer shape. Also, pilates delivers many health benefits that boost self-confidence and support overall health, not only spinal health.
- Related post: Does Cobra Stretch Increase Height?
Valerie Aubree: A Health Expert Leading the Way at Supplementchoices.com
Valerie Aubree is a highly skilled health professional with years of experience in the industry. Currently serving as the administrator of Supplementchoices.com, she has been instrumental in providing quality health-related content to the masses. In addition to her professional expertise, Valerie is also an avid music lover, movie enthusiast, and a passionate advocate of community health activities.
Valerie Aubree’s Experience and Expertise in Health
Valerie Aubree’s impressive credentials and experience in the health industry make her a respected authority in the field. She has spent countless hours researching, studying, and staying up-to-date on the latest trends and developments in health and wellness. Her passion for health education has led her to create valuable content that has benefited millions of people around the world.
As an administrator at Supplementchoices.com, Valerie Aubree has played an integral role in providing accurate and reliable information about dietary supplements, vitamins, and other health products. Her expertise in the field has allowed her to identify the best supplements for various health conditions, and she has been instrumental in reviewing and recommending products to her readers.
Valerie Aubree’s Love for Music and Movies
Valerie Aubree is not just an accomplished health professional but also a well-rounded individual with a love for music and movies. She finds solace in listening to different genres of music, from classical to contemporary, and has an eclectic taste in movies, ranging from indie films to blockbusters. Her passion for music and movies provides her with an escape from the rigors of the health industry, and she believes that it is important to have hobbies that bring joy and relaxation.
Valerie Aubree’s Community Health Advocacy
Valerie Aubree is a firm believer in the power of community health activities. She is a passionate advocate of programs that promote health and wellness within local communities. She has participated in various community health events, including health fairs and wellness programs, and has worked tirelessly to raise awareness about the importance of healthy living.
In conclusion, Valerie Aubree is a health expert who has made a significant impact in the industry. Her experience, expertise, and passion for health education have helped millions of people live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Her love for music, movies, and community health activities make her a well-rounded individual who is committed to making a difference in the world.