Pre-workout supplements are a popular choice to boost any workout.
Some might enhance muscle growth during workout sessions. Others might activate you while some boost endurance, fat burning, and pump. Some even do it all.
So, which one will suit your demands?
Below are the 10 best pre-workout supplements, followed by a detailed breakdown of why each is on this list.
Let’s get to it now!
- 1 Cellucor C4 Sport Pre-Workout Powder
- 2 Legion Pulse Pre-Workout Supplement
- 3 Genius Pre Workout Powder
- 4 Jaked Factory NITROSURGE Pre-Workout
- 5 Dymatize PreWO
- 6 RARI Nutrition Infinity Pre-Workout Powder
- 7 HumanN BeetElite Pre-Workout Powder
- 8 Cellucor C4 Extreme Pre-Workout Powder
- 9 Pre-Kaged Premium Pre Workout
- 10 Onnit Total Strength + Performance
Cellucor C4 Sport Pre-Workout Powder
C4 is the name that many people will picture when it comes to pre-workout supplements. It has been around for over a decade and has become one of the top-rated choices available today.
What makes C4 unique and outstanding is the appearance of CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine, caffeine, creatine, and arginine. All four ingredients are delivered at proper doses to support muscular endurance and prevent fatigue. Also, it features a nitrogen-containing compound designed to build muscle mass, boost strength, and maximize performance.
Simply mix one scoop with 6-8 fl. oz. of water, stir well, and enjoy it 20 – 30 minutes before training to get the best experience.
- Help build muscle and boost strength
- Enhance muscular endurance and fight fatigue
- Tested by NSF certified for sport
- Sugar-free flavor with no calories
- Affordable price
- Different results for different users
- Many flavors to choose but just a few tastes good
Legion Pulse Pre-Workout Supplement
If you need a high-caffeine and pump-inducing product without unnecessary substances, Legion Pulse is an ideal pick. It delivers 350 mg of both caffeine and L-theanine per serving, which might increase energy and focus effectively. Besides, it contains an effective dose of beta-alanine and L-citrulline to help boost muscle gain and endurance, reduce fatigue, and promote blood flow.
For the first time, you should mix one scoop with 10-12 oz. of water and drink it 15 – 30 minutes before exercising. In case you are performing weight training or intense cardio, please take two scoops 45 minutes before starting.
- Massive doses of caffeine and L-theanine
- Boost mood, energy, and strength
- Enhance muscle endurance and growth
- Naturally sweetened and flavored
- No artificial food dyes or chemical junk
- Made in the USA and lab-tested
- A money-back guarantee
- Kind of pricey with only 21 servings
- Not good taste for some users
Genius Pre Workout Powder
Genius Pre by The Genius Brand is a clinically dosed nootropics-based supplement. It is designed to deliver the necessary boost of energy and might make a difference in terms of muscular energy. Although it is caffeine-free, it features theobromine, a compound that helps stimulate effects similar to those that include caffeine. Also, it contains Alpha GPC to promote the mind-muscle connection, HICA to reduce muscle protein breakdown, ElevATP to fuel energy for increasing muscle strength and power, and Rhodiola Rosea to lessen fatigue with exercise.
This supplement should be taken 20-30 minutes before working out. Since it does not include caffeine, it is okay to use for daytime or nighttime workouts without worrying about keeping you up all night.
- Enhance exercise performance
- Boost muscle power
- Energize mind and promote cognitive function
- Caffeine-free and vegan-friendly
- 100% naturally flavored
- 3rd party-tested for potency and purity
- Quite expensive
- Only two flavors
- Might cause slight side effects
Jaked Factory NITROSURGE Pre-Workout
One of the greatest perks that this supplement gives is a wide range of flavors. You might select from over 10 different flavors such as cherry limeade, watermelon, blue raspberry, grape, etc. Aside from flavors, it features a fairly straightforward blend, including caffeine, beta-alanine, L-theanine, and other common pre-workout ingredients. Although the L-citrulline dose is on the lower end of the spectrum, just three grams per scoop, you can double it for massive effects. One thing to remember is not to exceed two scoops in 24 hours.
Overall, if you want a basic yet effective supplement at an affordable price, NITROSURGE can satisfy your demands.
- A simple yet effective formula for energy, pumps, and strength
- Come with different great flavors
- US-made and cGMP-certified
- Reasonably priced
- Not include creatine
- Ineffective for some
- Too much caffeine if doubling the dose
This pre-workout supplement is designed to advance energy, boost strength, and enhance muscle pumps for more effective and intense workouts. Each two-scoop serving includes citrulline malate to help reduce muscle fatigue and soreness, and beta-alanine to promote endurance and muscle growth. Other ingredients found in this product include vitamins, like vitamin C and niacin, that might stimulate nitric oxide production and its absorption to deliver oxygen and blood through muscles while exercising. What is more, the coconut water fruit powder helps improve hydration.
For beginners, you should mix one scoop to 12 fl. oz. of water. But for advanced training, it is best to take two. And make sure to use it 15 – 30 minutes before workouts.
- An impressive formula for maximizing strength and energy
- Support increased muscle pumps and vascularity
- Feature many vitamins for better health
- GMP and Sport Certified facilities
- Clump too much
- A bit expensive
- Include sucralose, artificial sweetener
RARI Nutrition Infinity Pre-Workout Powder
With so many going vegan and other dietary restrictions, there are not many supplements that will satisfy your needs. But this one ensures that vegans and gluten-free individuals can get the energy boost they need to work out. There are no traces of gelatin capsules and preservatives, which make it healthier for everyone. Also, it is certified by prestigious certifications to ensure purity and safety. Although RARI Nutrition Infinity does not include creatine, it offers a high dose of caffeine, L-Tyrosine, and agmatine to make sure you get extreme focus and energy and have peak levels of pump and volume during workout sessions.
- Great for increased energy and focus
- Boost muscle strength and endurance
- 100% natural and gluten-free
- Ideal for vegetarians and Keto eaters
- USA-made, GMP-certified
- A money-back guarantee
- Some prefer supplements with creatine
- Unpleasing taste
HumanN BeetElite Pre-Workout Powder
According to HumanN, BeetElite is unique because it is a highly concentrated non-GMO beetroot powder. Beets are rich in dietary nitrates, which help boost nitric oxide production in the body. As a result, you might notice increased stamina, endurance, and improved oxygen consumption.
It is made in the U.S. and from non-GMO ingredients without gluten, soy, dairy, or animal products. So both vegans and those with allergies can take it with ease. For maximum results, mix two scoops in 4-6 oz. of water and drink it for 30 – 60 minutes before working out.
- Increase nitric oxide production naturally
- Help work out longer and recover faster
- Vegan-friendly, free-caffeine
- Easy to digest and mix
- Informed-Sport certified, free of banned substances
- Some might not like beets
- Only one flavor is available
Cellucor C4 Extreme Pre-Workout Powder
The main ingredients of this supplement include caffeine, creatine, arginine, and beta-alanine. Although they are similar to the original C4 formula, the amount of each ingredient per serving is higher for increased intensity. For instance, each serving gives an extra 200 mg of caffeine and 2 g of beta-alanine, which is 25% more than the C4. As a result, you easily get explosive energy and physical performance while exercising. Of course, it comes with zero calories and sugars, so it does not affect your macronutrient balance or weight loss.
Overall, if you are looking for a way to optimize endurance and energy, the C4 Extreme version is a good pick.
- Include more amounts of caffeine and beta-alanine
- Support extreme energy, endurance, and performance
- Sugar-free flavors without calories
- Easy to mix and taste better
- Different effects for different users
- Slight reactions for some
- Kind of pricey
Pre-Kaged Premium Pre Workout
Do you want an “all-in-one” pre-workout supplement? Pre-Kaged by the KAGED MUSCLE brand is the best answer. You can find everything here from caffeine, an amino acid matrix to necessary ingredients for pump and energy that allow you to work out harder and longer, leading to more gain, increased strength, and improved cardio performance. Especially, this product is worth noting that 1.5 g of creatine HCL. Since creatine HCL is more soluble than creatine monohydrate, you can take the same effects by just taking a small amount.
Simply mix one scoop with 16-20 oz. of water in a shaker cup and drink 30 – 45 minutes before exercise. And remember to shake the cup gently between each sip.
- Designed to boost energy and focus and foster muscle growth
- Ideal for strength trainers
- Well-rounded variety of ingredients
- Zero banned substances
- Third-party tested and verified for safety and potency
- Contains sucralose
- Some might be allergic to tree nuts (coconut)
Onnit Total Strength + Performance
Onnit is a popular name in fitness dietary supplements. And Total Strength + Performance is one of the best pre-workout supplements available today. It provides a non-caffeinated blend of ingredients that enhance performance in many ways. The longjack plant might support the neural transmissions and hormones that deliver fuel for muscle contractions. Also, the beta-alanine, glutamine, and the BCAAs allow you to work out longer and better.
Before training for about 30 minutes, mix two scoops with 8 oz. of water and one scoop after training. On non-exercising days, you should take one scoop with breakfast and one scoop with lunch.
- Great for muscles with added glutamine
- Enhance extra power and strength
- Optimize hormonal balance
- No artificial ingredients
- Endorsed by top athletes and trainers
- Clinically studied results
- Too pricey
- Not give much energy to advanced users
- Many herbal ingredients
In sum, once you are engaged in sport, pre-workout supplements are helpful. Although it is still challenging to find the right product, we hope the list above is a great start to help you pick the one that can boost your muscle building, improve endurance, and promote the amount of energy you have during workout sessions.
Valerie Aubree is an expert in the field of health, currently the admin of the website Supplementchoices.com. I enjoy listening to music, watching movies and participating in community health activities.